performance and impacts
Since its founding over 30 years ago, LEAF has invested and leveraged over $122 million, resulting in the creation or retention of more than 10,300 jobs. We have measured the following impacts:
Job Creation — creating high quality jobs in low-income communities:
• 1,750+ living wage FTEs in food co-ops across the country
• 1083 worker-owners in employee-owned businesses
• 235 employees transitioned from part-time to full-time in food co-ops
• 338 jobs created or retained in FY18
Alternative Staffing — providing temporary employment for those who need it most:
• Over 5,100 people with “barriers to employment” placed into positions. Barriers include addiction, homelessness, or the previously incarcerated.
• More than 15,000 low-income individuals benefited from placement, career counseling and retention services that one of our employee-owned cooperative businesses provide to entry- level workers
• Over 100,000 households have access to quality food, with 88% of these loans going to businesses operating in “food deserts”
• Purchases from the cooperatives we financed support more than 2,500 small family farms and 3,000 small businesses.
• 368 housing units on land that is now owned by the community