Since its founding over 30 years ago, LEAF has invested and leveraged over $112 million, resulting in the creation or retention of more than 10,000 jobs. Since 2004, we have measured the following impacts:
Job Creation — creating high quality jobs in low-income communities:
• Over 1,600 FTEs in 23 consumer food co-ops
• Over 900 worker-owners in employee-owned businesses
• 200 employees transitioned from part-time to full-time in food co-ops
Alternative Staffing — providing temporary employment for those who need it most:
• Over 5,100 people with “barriers to employment” placed into positions
• More than 15,000 low-income individuals benefited from placement, career counseling and retention
services that one of our employee-owned cooperative businesses provide to entry- level workers
Small Business Technical Assistance — assisting business owners to access capital:
• Counseled and provided business assistance to 30+ disadvantaged small business owners
• Held 5 workshops on common business issues and reached over 100 small business owners
• Over 90,000 households have access to quality food, with 88% of these loans going to businesses operating in “food deserts”
• Purchases from the cooperatives we financed support more than 2,500 small family farms and 3,000 small businesses.
• 368 housing units on land that is now owned by the community
Sign up to receive LEAF’s newsletter.